Custom Search

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Review: Friday the 13Th (2009)


If you've read some of my previous blogs, then you know that I am not a big fan of the remake machine that Hollywood has turned into lately. I think it shows a lack of fresh new ideas and has gotten completely out of control, especially in the horror genre. I'm not trying to get on a soapbox or take some big stand against it, there are many horror remakes that I like. Such as Halloween, The Hills Have Eyes, The Thing, Dawn of the Dead, and now Friday the 13Th. 

I liked Friday the 13Th because it feels more like a update or a continuation than it does a blatant remake. It stays true to the previous series but does it's own thing also. Jason runs now, and he's quick, but that makes him more intimidating to me. Not that I dislike the former Jason now, but he moved at the rate of a slug. But I guess if I died over ten times, I'd move a slower too. 

I was very skeptical about this though. I think most of us were. Especially after the debacle that is Freddy vs. Jason. Come on, you know it was silly! It seemed like a good idea at first glance but was ruined by bad writing and bad characters. You wanted the teens to get killed in this one. 

Friday the 13Th is a step in a better direction. The characters are a little more likable and it is written with much better thought into realism meanwhile staying true to the tradition of the Friday the 13Th legacy. 

I loved the opening to the movie. For me, the longer the scene before the credits, the better. I don't know why, I just like it. I don't want to spoil it if you haven't seen it, but I think the opening scene is very well done. Of course, the death scenes are cool too. 

I'm still not a big fan of the remake machine that Hollywood has turned into. I think they need fresh new idea via fresh new writers. However, some are good. Some pay tribute and bring a modern realism and integrity to a story with the love they had for it as a fan. I get that. But some are bad. Some just copy the formula that made money the first time and commercialize out any organic integrity the film ever had.

Friday the 13Th is one of the good ones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment