Custom Search

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Review: Sleepaway Camp

"You Won't Be Coming Home"


It's movies like these that remind me why I love low-budget horror films. 

They have the balls to do whatever they want and they are just plain fun. 

Sleepaway Camp is campy, funny, and very perverted. It's not the goriest movie you will ever see, but it does have it's moments and makes up for the lack of bloodshed with weirdness and suspense. 

Even though it is as low budget as they come, it still kept me interested and wondering what was going to happen next. Because in these kind of films, you never know. There is no safe zone like there is in so many big Hollywood movies. All the rules go right out the window, and thats why we love them.

The story is about this girl who witnesses her family get killed in a boating accident when she was a child. We jump ahead to eight years later and she and her cousin are living with their aunt. But this year their aunt is sending them away to camp for the summer. 

They arrive at the camp, but the girl is anti-social and refuses to speak. She is still not over the trauma of losing her family. Meanwhile, a mysterious killer is knocking off campers one by one. 

This film has one of the weirdest endings I have ever seen. I wont say anything because I don"t want to spoil it. It's one of those things that's half funny and half disturbing. 

If you can get past the low budget, some bad acting, cheesy humor, 80's iconology and guys wearing really short shorts.... then you should enjoy Sleepaway Camp. 

If not, I understand...

More than just a slasher movie, Sleepaway Camp is more involved in character structure and humor. Sometimes intentional, sometimes not. I found this movie very funny!

As I said, this is a sleazy film. 

It's as if you took American Pie:Band Camp and threw it in the gutter. Then shoveled it back up and spliced it with Friday the 13th and then let John Waters direct it.

Then you might have something like Sleepaway Camp. 

If you enjoy sleazy campy fun, then I recommend this cult classic. 

6 comments:

  1. I love this movie - the ending is great, and I love men in short shorts.

    If you haven't seen the sequels, you should check them out - they're witty and fun, though they can't equal the shock of the original ending of course. You can totally miss the most recent installment though - it's beyond awful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been curious to check out the sequels. Yea, I doubt they can live up to the first one in some levels but still interested.

    Thanks for the tip!

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh My God,This Movie is sooooo Perverted,i Hated My brother for Buying This Sick perverted Movie,I Broke the DVD In half and Tossed it in the Trash where it Belongs,SleepAway Camp is Really Perverted and should be 10 X rated,i Mean Did Peter have Sex with Angela in that real sick scene in that Bed,Or Did Peter say i am a girl, treat me like One,when he was in bed naked with Angela,this Movie should be banned,and banned Forever,and the cast should be Condemned as Sex offenders or Child Molesters in Scaring alot of people, Including Unsuspecting Children who By the By had No Idea on How scary the ending of Sleepaway camp really Was,How can You(The Makers Of Sleepaway Camp)Sleep at Night,Not Giving any kind Of WARNING on the End of this Sick twisted perverted Movie,is the same as not allowing a XXX Rating to be Placed at the Movie theater,thats the same as Killing Innocents of People,Children and Women and Geeks in Men,Shame on you perverts,I Hope You Go to prison for the rest of Your Lifes.I Kind Of Loved Fellisa Rose,I Love her Big Nose and her Big Boobs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Kind Of hated Felissa Rose for as Acting like a Transexuel cold Blooded Murderer,any person that is Sane Young or Old,That see's the Awaful Ending of Sleepaway Camp,Can kiss Their Innocence GoodBye,As Well as thier Sanity or Common Sense,Kids and People 4 to 25,should Never watch Until they are 55 Years Old,and that are in a Looney Bin Watching Sleepaway Camp,Go Crazy all you want in the Looney Bin,Peace Man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. a More Disturbing Ending,bad Joke for Felissa Rose( Hope You Love It Felissa Rose)Okay( Little Girl Make Snow Angel WHY?) Why Did the Little Girl make The Snow Angel,because She said: I made This Snow Angel for Felissa Rose Because She's An Angel Now( Little Girl Pulls Out Knife) Says to the Snow Angel,I Hate You Felissa Rose(Little Girl gets On Knee's) and Stabs the Snow Angel Nonstop,Now Marry Me Felissa Rose,We can be A Couple From Hell.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sleepaway Camp series Good and bad Actors, Felissa Rose versus Pamela SpingSteen,who was Badder and More Evil,Well Pamela Spingsteen,You were The Leslie Nielson Of Sleepaway Camp 2 and 3,You Tryed To Be Funny,But You were Not Funny or Scary, Felissa Rose was More Evil and Coldblooded than You Were and You Knew It,Felissa Rose was Invited To Star in the SleepAway Camp in 2008,Because more People Liked Her Because She was more Evil,I never Judged The Shocking Ending Of Sleepaway Camp(1983),Because If I Was Forced to be A Loner Girl(Boy),I Would have Gotten Angry As Well.

    ReplyDelete